Date:      Tue, 12 Jun 2001 11:58:20 +0200
From:      Markus Holmberg <markush@acc.umu.se>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Constant hissing sound with FreeBSD sound driver?

Hi,

I get (and have had for as long as I can remember) a hissing background
sound in FreeBSD. This occurs in two different computers with two
different sound cards:

pcm0: <AudioPCI ES1370> port 0xdc00-0xdc3f irq 10 at device 15.0 on pci0
pcm0: <Creative CT5880-C> port 0x9800-0x983f irq 9 at device 13.0 on pci0

This sound is noticeable, but not dominant at low volumes. At high
volumes (and no sound going out) the hissing is very noticeable.

This hissing starts exactly when the sound card is initialized in the
bootup sequence, which leads me to believe there is a way to fix it. Any
hints?

I will do my best to assist in tracing this! I'm using "device pcm0" in
the kernel config for my FreeBSD 4.3-STABLE system. (Though this hissing
has existed for as long as I can remember, probably even since 3.x?)

It's an annoying problem which spoils the enjoyment of listening to
audio on my FreeBSD systems :(.

Markus

(Please keep me on CC as I'm not on the list)

--

Markus Holmberg         |       Give me Unix or give me a typewriter.
markush@acc.umu.se      |       http://www.freebsd.org/