Date:      Sun, 20 Apr 1997 16:38:39 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Alex Belits <abelits@phobos.illtel.denver.co.us>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        vinay@agni.nuko.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Need a common passwd file among machines

On Sun, 20 Apr 1997, Terry Lambert wrote:

> > P.S. Is there any existing thing or at least an idea of making one that
> > does this thing nicer? NIS is based on rather dumb idea that to
> > authenticate local user one will want to go to some server and ask him
> > instead of IMHO more sane approach of distributing authentication
> > information from that server to always perform authentication locally and
> > never depend on some host being accessible at the time of user's login.
>
> This is the design error of the X.500, NDS, and NT models for
> having credentials apply to the net instead of individual machines:

  You mean, all machines on the network use the same set of users? That
will be bad, but such system can be designed to support individual setup
for machines, groups of them and/or supporting additional authentication
information stored locally that will be added after receiving files.
Secondary servers that may also handle some local for their clients lists
can be useful, too.

  Model with ftp/scp+scripts that I've mentioned is too primirive to do
that, but this is why I've asked about "pushing" model implemented better,
so it can unclude that functionality.

> How do I force synchronization with someone's desktop box if they
> turn it off and go home?

  When box is turned off it definitely doesn't need any authentication
information at all -- no one can login there anyway. When such box boots
it can ask server, and server will update authentication information if it
was changed (similar to what happens when secondary nameserver is started)
before any user will have chance to log in -- still less overhead than to
ask server every time.

> This is the same for all push-model authentication distribution
> services: it has a hard time working in the real world, and depends
> on silly ideas like "skulking" processes to push the data when they
> can.
>
> Meanwhile, between "skulks", the replicating tree has invalid
> information, and may win the "master election" for a client, and
> authenticate client credentials which are, in fact, "stale", and
> there;'s no way to stop it from happening.

  The idea is that server updates authentication data on clients whenever
it's changed, not client asks server about that (except when booting). So
the delay between data being changed on the server and being received on
some client will be almost as short as it takes to do remote
authentication procedure from that client (depends on network bandwidth,
server resources, etc).

--
Alex