Date:      Wed, 23 May 2001 13:36:04 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Joseph A. Mallett" <jmallett@xMach.org>
To:        "Pedro F. Giffuni" <giffunip@asme.org>
Cc:        <chat@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Reiser and BSD.

I think by ``inner cliques'' he's talking about people who work on
documentation, filesystems, etc., rather than one big dopey moron in
charge of it all (as far as kernel goes).

Also, Linux did NOT ship with a fully free system, etc., first. I recall
GNU starting in 1984 and not having anything _working_ other than Emacs
until they ripped stuff from 4.4BSD in late 80s. And even then... THEY HAD
NO KERNEL!!!! Hans Reiser is a bit of a `confused' person. He has said
DIRECTLY that he ONLY used the GPL and ONLY went with Linux because it
meant he could CHARGE PEOPLE MONEY to relicense and port his code if they
wanted to use it in commercial environments. IN SHORT, Linux is marketing
for resiserfs for him, because it gets it in front of a large audience,
and he can put it under a shitty license so anyone who wants to USE it has
to PAY him.

As for the `competitors' thing, RMS kinda sorta started it in ~1989 when
he started ranting over and over about how evil and bad BSD was. I could
be wrong.

/joseph

--
[ Joseph Mallett            <jmallett@xMach.org> ] [ http://srcsys.org ]
[ xMach Core Team         xMach: Proactively Unbloated Microkernel BSD ]