Date:      Sat, 18 May 2013 08:40:00 -0400
From:      Paul Kraus <paul@kraus-haus.org>
To:        kpneal@pobox.com
Cc:        Liste FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ZFS install on a partition

On May 18, 2013, at 12:49 AM, kpneal@pobox.com wrote:

> On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 08:03:30PM -0400, Paul Kraus wrote:
>> On May 17, 2013, at 6:24 PM, "bsd@todoo.biz" <bsd@todoo.biz> wrote:
>>> 3. Should I avoid using ZFS since my system is not well tuned and It =
would be asking for trouble to use ZFS in these conditions.=20
>>=20
>> No. One of the biggest benefits of ZFS is the end to end data =
integrity.
>> IF there is a silent fault in the HW RAID (it happens), ZFS will =
detect
>> the corrupt data and note it. If you had a mirror or other redundant =
device,
>> ZFS would then read the data from the *other* copy and rewrite the =
bad
>> block (or mark that physical block bad and use another).
>=20
> I believe the "copies=3D2" and "copies=3D3" option exists to enable =
ZFS to
> self heal despite ZFS not being in charge of RAID. If ZFS only has a =
single
> LUN to work with, but the copies=3D2 or more option is set, then if =
ZFS
> detects an error it can still correct it.

	Yes, but =85. What the "copies=3D<n>" parameter does is tell ZFS =
to make that many copies of every block written on the top level device. =
So if you set copies=3D2 and then write a 2MB file, it will take up 4MB =
of space since ZFS will keep two copies of it. ZFS will attempt to put =
them on different devices if it can, but there are no guarantees here. =
If you have a single vdev stripe and you lose that one device, you =
*will* lose all your data (assuming you did not have another backup copy =
someplace else). On the other hand, if the single device develops some =
bad blocks, with copies=3D2 you will *probably* not lose data as there =
will be other copies of those disk blocks elsewhere to recover from.

	=46rom my experience on the ZFS Discuss lists, the place people =
seem to use copies=3D<more than 1> are on laptops where they only have =
one drive and copies=3D<more than1> is better than no protection at all, =
it is just not complete protection.

> This option is a dataset option, is inheritable by child datasets, and =
can
> be changed at any time affecting data written after the change. To get =
the
> full benefit you'll therefore want to set the option before putting =
data
> into the relevant dataset.

	You can change it any time and it will only effect data written =
from that point on. This can be useful if you have both high value data =
band low value and you can control when each is written. For example, =
you leave copies=3D1 for most of the time, then you want to save your =
wedding photos, so you set copies=3D3 and write all the wedding photos, =
you then set copies=3D1. You will have three copies of the wedding =
photos and one copy of everything else.

--
Paul Kraus
Deputy Technical Director, LoneStarCon 3