Date:      Thu, 11 Apr 1996 15:09:24 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        kaleb@x.org (Kaleb S. KEITHLEY)
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DVORAK keyboard drivers

> > Well, two wrongs don't make a right.
>
> This kind of rhetoric just pegs my bullshit meter.

Pegs my pun meter: But two Wrights make an airplane".

> > Sorry Kaleb, but xf86config is a creeping undead abortion from the
> > foulest pit of Hell.
>
> I guess XFree86 has the same sort of problem that FreeBSD does in getting
> people interested in writing essential utilities that don't have the glamor
> of hacking the kernel or the X server.

Yes, exactly the #1 problem in both camps.  Everyone builds foundations,
but no one build walls.

The only thing you can do is correct crooked places in your foundations
to make it trivial for others to build straight walls.

If I have a good foundation, the walls don't matter: I can put my
roof on posts that go to the foundation, and if someone wants walls,
they can haul in bales of straw, cover them in chicken wire, and
stucco the chicken wire to get walls.

If the foundation (the exposed interface) for the config file weren't
pretty much "read only", there's be a config writing tool for XFree86
already.

If there was a common device configuration API in FreeBSD, there would
be an "add_disk" utility.

> Some have asserted that it's too much to ask people to change a line
> in their XF86Config file from "XkbSymbols us(pc101)" to "XkbSymbols
> us(pc101)+de" because that's "hacker meat." Frankly this rates as one
> of the more specious arguments I've ever heard. This isn't Micro$oft
> Windoze after all.

Frankly, it is "hacker meat".  Like adding a disk in FreeBSD.  "Micro$oft
Windoze" is successful because it "fixes" these "problems".

Note the quote marks -- they denote target market issues which you are
both ignoring.

If the "Micro$oft Windoze" market is the one you want to take over,
well then the "hacker meat" has to go -- or be hidden by uniformity.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.