Date:      Mon, 16 Jul 2007 09:48:39 -0700
From:      "Wes Peters" <barnaclewes@gmail.com>
To:        "Sten Daniel Soersdal" <netslists@gmail.com>
Cc:        Stephen.Clark@seclark.us, freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 6.2 mtu now limits size of incomming packet

On 7/16/07, Sten Daniel Soersdal <netslists@gmail.com> wrote:

> I guess it wouldn't hurt for the operating system to accept larger
> frames, as long as only the correctly sized frames are transmitted.
>
> There are alot of people, including myself, that assume a host can't
> receive a frame that is larger than MTU. Perhaps it should be noted in
> the man pages about this behavior in addition?

I've bumped into this issue several times before.  A look at the
ifconfig man page will show a way to set the interface mtu, but not
the mru.  FreeBSD has always used the mtu as the mru for the
interface, which is arguably wrong.  In every case I've encountered
this problem, the user had truly mis-configured some part of the
network and correct configuration solved the problem, so I've never
been fully convinced it needed to be fixed.

--
Against stupidity the very gods Themselves contend in vain.
                                         Friedrich Schiller