Date:      Sat, 6 Dec 1997 05:14:26 -0500 (EST)
From:      cgull+usenet-881371548@smoke.marlboro.vt.us (john hood)
To:        Jonathan Mini <j_mini@efn.org>
Cc:        sos@freebsd.dk, FreeBSD current <current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Vendor-specific processor hacks

Jonathan Mini writes:
 [a horribly formatted message-- please don't use such long lines]

 >  My point is that creating a cpu vendor target as well as a cpu
 > class target will make a general enough method of determing the the
 > types or processor hacks to include, whithout requiring the user to
 > keep track of all of those processor specific hacks, and to know
 > which ones affect what processors.
 >  You are saying that this is rediculous, and that tracking bugs on
 > a bug-by-bug basis is Good Enough.

If the bug fixes are all included, nobody needs to track them.

Earlier, I wrote a long response, and tossed it, but you provoked me
again... :) In short, I think things would be better served by
trimming down the number of options and #ifdefs.  The memory saving is
small, the performance impact near nil, and the user and programmer
confusion factor significant.  I'm not even sure that "I[3456]86_CPU"
is desirable.

 >  The question is whether or not a user should be required to keep
 > track of all of the bugs that have popped up for their specific
 > processor and enable those fixes. (or disable the ones that don't
 > affect them) I say that this isn't very reasonable, and that the
 > user should only be required to keep track of his processor's make
 > and model rather than all of the specific mistakes that his vendor
 > made.
 >  That is the debate in short. Considering that you and have are
 > still certain that we are right and the other guy is wrong, we
 > probably go on about this for dozens of messages. I'm hoping we
 > won't. However, I am also hoping that you will look to the future
 > on this issue, to the point where there are dozens of these
 > vendor-specific bug fixes, and probably a dozen or so cpu classes.
 > Everyone knows their processor's vendor and class, even the
 > stupider users.
 >  Also, even though (replortedly) the current Pentium F00F bugfix
 > doesn't have a large perofrmance hit on the system, who's to say
 > that others won't?

1) If there's a large performance hit on a "bug fix", it's arguably
the hardware vendor's problem, not ours.

2) It seems to me that this is a problem best handled when it arises--
who knows what the next bug is going to be, how it will affect things?
We sure can't predict our *own* bugs, let alone what the hardware
folks bake up (literally) for us. :)

 > Do we want to go through the same debate we went
 > over with the F00F bug about the next bug that comes along?  I

I assume I missed something here-- I didn't see any debate :)

  --jh

--
Mr. Belliveau said, "the difference was the wise,       John Hood,     cgull
intelligent look on the face of the cow."  He was      	                   @