Date:      Thu, 11 Nov 1999 06:40:40 -0700
From:      Eric Lee Green <elgreen@iname.com>
To:        Marc van Kempen <marc@bowtie.nl>, mjacob@feral.com
Cc:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: onStream?

On Wed, 10 Nov 1999, Marc van Kempen wrote:
> In message <Pine.BSF.4.05.9911101050530.11884-100000@semuta.feral.com>, Matthew
>  Jacob writes:
> >It's not clear that OnStream is the answer here. I lost some of my
> >interest in supporting OnStream when they weren't particularly interested
> >in doing a changer. Not only is the amount of running around with this

Excuse me, but if you need a changer, you need something a bit more, err,
substantial than the OnStream. The OnStream is a QIC-type product intended for
personal backup. Onstream Corp. isn't in the corporate backup market.

> They have 70GB in the picture and are working on bigger drives.

Yes, they have 70GB in the picture, though I can't talk about how it works
(yet) :-).

> The guy I spoke to also claimed that the drives are more reliable than
> dat.

I'm sorry, but while the OnStream is in all ways the penultimate of QIC
technology, it will never have the reliability and speed of helical-scan
technology.

Besides, if you want reliability, see the Ecrix VXA. These guys demoed at one
of the shows where they made a backup tape, stuck it in boiling water, dried it
out -- and it restored! My only complaint with the Ecrix nowdays is the same as
Matt's complaint about Onstream -- that they don't have a changer. DDS-4
changers, on the other hand, are either on the market or will be on the market
soon, though I don't really trust DDS-4 technology all that much (they're
trying to stick altogether too much stuff on one little 4mm DAT cartridge, darn
it!).

-Eric Lee Green   eric@estinc.com