Date:      Thu, 7 Mar 1996 09:23:32 -0700 (MST)
From:      Brandon Gillespie <brandon@tombstone.sunrem.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Linux vs FreeBSD comparison - it's time, I think!

> > 3) Full description of ftp.cdrom.com as a "case study".  Also, when
> > people FTP to ftp.cdrom.com there should be a BIG banner, like:
> > 'Unleash the daemon in your PC!'
> > (followed by some information about ftp.cdrom.com and FreeBSD)."
>
> That logo looks so cheesy though :P

Sorry for the noise here, but where would we submit 'ad' ideas?  I've
done a bit of graphical design work (international publications), and
I have some possible ideas, my favorite is:

  beginning graphic:

   +                                                                 +
     Did you know?

         L    I    N    U    X

             is used by hundreds of internet providers world wide...
   +                                                                 +

(where LINUX is a big snazzy looking logo)

Clicking on the image will take you to the full page with some more
graphics to the effect of

   Yet FreeBSD outperforms it in (most? all? majority?) network applications!

      Recently stanford university performed an independant study
      of FreeBSD and Linux.  They found that (insert inspiring
      numbers and stats here).

      This study has prompted the FreeBSD development team to conduct
      further benchmarks, creating a wide array of information on
      using not only FreeBSD vs Linux, but also other PC unix systems
      such as NetBSD, BSD/OS (BSDi?), [Unixware, SCO?]

      [info on getting and learning more about FreeBSD]

Etc.

Actual wording would, of course, be correct and acurate :)

-Brandon Gillespie-

BTW, Sorry for the bandwidth, for those uninterested; perhaps a
PR@freebsd.org list?