Date:      Mon, 2 Mar 1998 02:16:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        Jeremy Lea <reg@shale.csir.co.za>
Cc:        Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG

On Mon, 2 Mar 1998, Jeremy Lea wrote:

> Now for the real reason I wanted to reply... While reading this thread the
> idea of a newbie brag list entered my mind...
>
> How about making the list one where newbies are encouraged to share their
> success stories with the community. Messages like "hey, I managed to get my
> Deskjet working...", "Finally got that procmail filter up and running...",
> and other tasks which most old hands would do in ten seconds. Then someone
> with a bit more experience might respond by saying "If you do such and such
> it'll work quicker...", but more importantly others will start asking you
> questions about all sorts of related topics... There's nothing more
> encouraging when you are starting out than to think you're clever and ahead
> of the pack, and to have some "newbie" think you are a guru ;)...

Aha, a newbie-"brag'n bitch" list!  Perfect.

Y'know when I got into this stuff I just knew a few unix commands that I'd
learned from Kroll's Whole Internet book, and it was a little confusing
because you couldn't tell if the 1's were l's or vice versa. Not a good t
ype face.

I'd been reading the newsgroup but when an answer said "man cron" I didn't
know what that meant.

I knew there were these things called man pages, but I didn't know how
to read them.

And isn't that just too damn bad. :( :( :((

AA