Date:      Fri, 2 Apr 1999 09:29:01 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jamie Bowden <ragnar@sysabend.org>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: video and sound card recommendations?

On Fri, 2 Apr 1999, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

:I guess what I'm really asking is whether or not Direct 3D gives you
:gamers the same access to per-pixel MIP mapping, tri-linear filtering,
:fog, transparency and other sorts of features that the 3DFX provides.
:Those are often what I first notice in a game which is "obviously
:running on the 3DFX" and what still seems to be lacking from games
:which use the somewhat more generic Direct3D API.  Or has this
:situation changed and I just haven't noticed yet? :)

Most game companies are actually moving towards standard opengl in
reality.  OpenGL is at least as pretty (if not better, it's subjective) as
glide.  I have a Voodoo2, one of my freinds has a TNT, I run Q2 in glide,
he runs it in opengl.  I think at the same resolution, opengl looks
cleaner.

Jamie Bowden

--

If we've got to fight over grep, sign me up.  But boggle can go.
	-Ted Faber (on Hasbro's request for removal of /usr/games/boggle)