Date:      Sun, 18 May 2003 16:36:43 -0400
From:      Charles Peterman <cjp@sandstorm.net>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Maxtor Ultra ata/133 controller, FreeBSD 4.[5,8], and the boot process

As it turns out, the latest rev of the Intel SDS2 motherboard also rev's =
its=20
ICH4 ide controller, turning it into a useless piece of PIO crap and=20
destroying my systems' performance and sucking down my weekend.

After contacting Soren Schmidt concerning the state of the ata driver and=
=20
whether a quick hack would be appropriate, I decided to venture into usin=
g=20
a PCI add-on card controller, in this case the Maxtor Ultra ata/133=20
controller.  There is only one disk aside from the 3ware raid, which does=
 not=20
show up as an ata device.

The install CD for 4.5 installs to this drive without a problem, but it t=
ells=20
me that the loan disk is at ad4.  Upon reboot, the boot loader fails,=20
horribly, no loader found.  Rebooting with the install CD, and going into=
 the=20
loader's command line, I find that my disk is listed as disk2s1, and not =
the=20
disk4 I thought it would be.=20

Is there a variable I could set during boot to get the disk to show up as=
 ad0? =20
SImilar to the way removing ATA_STATIC_ID from the kernel compile does.

Various attempts to massage loader.conf and the currdev, loaddev, or boot=
dev
variables failed to produce results.   I attempted to set these to disk2s=
1a=20
with no results.

If someone could point me in the right direction for how to handle this, =
I=20
would be much obliged.  An RTFM (with pointer to M) or a helping hand wou=
ld=20
be sincerely appreciated.

Thanks,=20

Charles=09