Date:      Thu, 30 Jan 1997 11:29:17 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        adonai@jump.net (Lee Crites)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Kernel extensions, &c. &c.

(Mailbox overload!)

Lee Crites stands accused of saying:

>>> Having been on the kernel extension writing end of things, I can appreciate
>>> how complex it would be to configure a live, running kernel that can accept
> >> aribrary extensions on the fly.  However, making something that can
> >> link/re-link on reboot wouldn't be as difficult.
> >
> >Are you admitting some experience and maybe offering to help?  Wonderful!
>
> Well, I've tried to 'admit[] some experience and maybe offer[] to help'
> twice before.  This is the first time I have received a positive response to it.

That's unhappy 8(

> The first time (about sockets and such) seemed to have actually garnered
> some quasi-offense.  I was, in fact, somewhat surprised.  After two decades
> in the computer industry, including working as a consultant in many
> different fields, this was the first time I felt snubbed at the offer of
> free help.  (While it is true that loading the os on a machine and joining
> some lists doesn't make me a 'part' of FreeBSD, I did have some hopes at
> kind of wedging my foot in the door, so to speak, by trying to help out in
> areas I understood fairly well.)

TBH, I don't recall this at all.  I certainly don't think that it could be
described as the "normal" state of affairs.

> I wish you guys luck in trying to come to a good conclusion in this (and the
> few other) debate going on.  A 'good' conclusion, imo, is one where all
> parties can come away feeling good with what is happening and where it is
> going, and are happily working together towards the same goals.

Thanks!  Hopefully your mail problems have been resolved and you can
share in the process; I for one would be happy to have your experience
and perspective around, and I'm certain I wouldn't be alone.