Date:      11 Jul 2001 14:48:38 -0400
From:      Vivek Khera <khera@kcilink.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Tracking -stable remotely/colocated

that has been posted to ml.freebsd.stable as well.

KWC> I guess I should've mentioned:  No serial-port access... :-/
KWC> It appears that installation requires console-mode.  I guess
KWC> now the question distills to "how to go to/from single-user
KWC> mode remotely over ssh?"  Or, perhaps rephrasing, "how do I
KWC> accomplish installworld & install-kernel Truly Safely(tm)?" :)

Then you can't have single user mode remotely.

Personally, I use a Cyclades TS1000 terminal/console server configured
to only allow SSH via RSA keys to connect to it (too bad they use
Linux as their embedded system .. ;-()

The servers themselves are configured to have serial console *AND* the
kernel debugger installed, with the patch to allow break to DDB on a
line with getty not running (ie, during shutdown).  This way, I can
pretty much always get the system to respond and do a panic via DDB in
the worst case.  I'm not sure if the break-to-console patch has been
MFC'd from -CURRENT yet.