Date:      Thu, 15 Aug 2002 08:02:20 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug <niteskyguy@yahoo.com>
To:        "Brian T. Schellenberger" <bts@babbleon.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cdrom: device not configured error

--- "Brian T. Schellenberger" <bts@babbleon.org> wrote:
> Do you have an especially old or new drive?
No, the computer is less than a year old, but it is not bleeding edge.

> Is it an usual make?  Does Windows tell you anything about it?
Yes, Windows 2000 shows it as a Teac CD-224E

> Have you tried it with Linux perchance?
Yes, at different times I have had RedHat, Mandrake, and SuSE on this
laptop and none of them had a problem with it.

> Did the install work via CD?
Yes, the install worked from the cd. That's the crazy thing. And during
the install, I can switch to the shell and dmesg shows it as:
acd0: at ata0-slave PIO4 CDROM TEAC CD-Rom CD-224E

> Have you built a custom kernel?
I have tried the "stock" 4.6-RELEASE kernel, kernel.GENERIC, and now
have a custom kernel. The ata devices are enabled.

Thanks for your input!
Doug