Date:      Thu, 04 Oct 2001 15:39:48 -0400
From:      Michael Sinz <msinz@wgate.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ALT-<sp> (Was: how to make 'for' understand two words as asingleargumen)

Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:

> Michael Sinz <msinz@wgate.com> writes:
> > BTW - How does your system represent a file with 0xA0 in it?  An ls on
> > FreeBSD 4.4-Stable seems to show it as:
> >
> > -rw-r--r--  1 msinz  msinz   0 Oct  3 12:00 foo?bar
> >
> > Interesting - not what I would have expected but I think "non-printables"
> > are replaced by the "?" when ls runs.
> >
> > Even more interesting is this:
> >
> > -rw-r--r--  1 msinz  msinz   0 Oct  3 12:00 foo?bar
> > -rw-r--r--  1 msinz  msinz   1 Oct  3 12:05 foo?bar
> >

> This is only "interesting" (in the sense in which you seem to use the
> word) to someone who has not read the ls(1) manual page, and does not
> know of the -q and -B options...

This was within the context of alt-space replacing spaces in file names.
As things stand now, it is not even easily usable as the main tool used
to list the files in a directory does not show it correctly.  (As far as
the non-printables, I agree that LS is supposed to do, but is non-breaking
space really a non-printable?)

--
Michael Sinz ---- Worldgate Communications ---- msinz@wgate.com
A master's secrets are only as good as