Date:      Tue, 3 Oct 2000 01:40:22 -0700
From:      "Crist J . Clark" <cjclark@reflexnet.net>
To:        Roger Merritt <mcrogerm@stjohn.ac.th>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: natd ; Host is dowm ???

On Tue, Oct 03, 2000 at 03:11:51PM +0700, Roger Merritt wrote:
> At 01:02 AM 10/3/00 -0700, you wrote:
> >On Mon, Oct 02, 2000 at 02:34:06PM +0200, Nash wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> My server is issuing an error message that has got me blowing my
> >> head off on!!
> >>
> >> ... natd[131]: failed to write packet back (Host is down)
> >>
> >> Does anyone know what "host" is meant here?
> >
> >Same thing it usually does, another machine (interface) on the
> >LAN. natd is telling you that after processing a packet, it cannot be
> >sent to the machine it is addressed to because the "host is down."
> >What that means is that the system cannot get the data link layer
> >address for the IP address in question.
> >
> >There is not enough information for a further diagnosis.
> >--
> >Crist J. Clark                           cjclark@alum.mit.edu
> >

> Well, that's the problem, isn't it? I keep getting the same messages
> (fewer now that I got Samba better configured). I've never been able to
> figure out what host is meant or *why* natd can't connect with it or
> why natd wants to in the first place. Is there any way to force natd to
> give more info?

It has the '-log' switch. You can also run tcpdump on the interfaces
and see what kind of ARP messages your machine is generating that go
unanswered. Other potential suspects are redirect rules to machines
that are not present. Again, hard to guess at without any clues about
your setup.

> Even though the messages don't bother me as much as
> they used to they still end up filling up the kernel message buffer and
> overwriting the boot messages (apparently in defiance of syslogd).

You can always find the boot dmesg in /var/run/dmesg.boot if losing
that from the dmesg buffer bothers you. You can also control how natd
logs with the '-log_facility' switch. However, turning off the
messages is not recommended until you at least figure out if they are
an indication of a deeper problem.