Date:      Thu, 26 Jun 1997 17:12:45 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jon Inouye <jinouye@cse.ogi.edu>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IRQ assignment for PII motherboards

On Thu, 26 Jun 1997, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> The bigger issue here for me at least is why this doesn't work with a
> shared IRQ.  I've had, for example, my SMC (PCI) ethernet card and my
> Adaptec 2940 on the same IRQ and it worked just fine.  No problems.
>
> What are the symptoms of failure with the shared IRQ this person
> is having?  Are they sure it's because of IRQ sharing that this
> problem exists, or is it perhaps something else?
>
> 					Jordan

Umm, I don't want to start a flame war here, but most of the problems
have been with Red Hat Linux drivers not wanting to share PCI
interrupts. ;-)  The Linux side of the group is currently searching
for PCI PnP software.

David Greenman confirmed that FreeBSD supports PCI interrupt sharing and
should work fine on the PD440FX motherboard.  (PC-Card interrupt
sharing, required for multi-function PCMCIA devices, is not yet supported
as far as I know.)

However, sharing an IRQ between an Intel EtherExpress 10/100 and an
Adaptec 3940W is _not_ performance friendly - I expect timeout errors for
FreeBSD and see them occasionally on WindowsNT.  You would think that
given some free IRQs (by disabling the serial, parallel, and USB ports)
the BIOS would set up a one-to-one mapping between PCI interrupts and ISA
IRQs.  Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to want to and there appears to be
no hook to manually configure things.  Oh, well, I sent off email to our
Intel sponsors and hope to get utility software from them - or a BIOS
upgrade. (Or perhaps even a RTFM on page xxx! ;-)

-JI