Date:      Thu, 11 Dec 1997 16:24:36 -0500 (EST)
From:      William Bulley <web@merit.edu>
To:        steve@ns1.cioe.com (Steve Ames)
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: radius and realms

According to Steve Ames:

> Has anyone got the radius port (2.4.23) to work using realms?
>
> I've edited the 'authfile' to include a couple of realms
> and want them to foward radius requests to a different radius
> server. It just doesn't seem to play. It just gives access
> denied. *sigh*
>
> The log file had some info, but really wasn't much more enlightening
> (probably based on my lack of understanding of what is really
> happening underneath).

I would be glad to help you configure our Merit AAA Server...  :-)
And help you decode the stuff in the logfile, too!

Send email to aaa-support@merit.edu for questions like this.

For a realm xyz, you would place a line like the following into
the 'authfile':

   xyz   RADIUS    <some-server-dns-name>

Where <some-server-dns-name> is the DNS name (host name) or IP
address of another RADIUS server which knows how to handle user
names such as "jane.doe@xyz" because that user name is what your
Merit AAA Server is getting (or else why are you asking this
particular question)...  :-)

Regards,

web...

--
William Bulley, N8NXN              Senior Systems Research Programmer
Merit Network, Inc.                Email: web@merit.edu

[ What's all this fuss about the end of the century causing mission critial ]
[ programs to crash due to bad dates?  If people simply started using Roman ]
[ Numerials, the problem goes away!   MCM = 1900  MCMXCIX = 1999  MM = 2000 ]