Date:      Thu, 7 Mar 1996 08:33:58 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>
To:        invalid opcode <coredump@nervosa.com>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Linux vs FreeBSD comparison - it's time, I think!

On Thu, 7 Mar 1996, invalid opcode wrote:

> On Wed, 6 Mar 1996, Jake Hamby wrote:
> > 2) We should not be afraid to make a Web page comparing features of
> > FreeBSD and Linux.  We should give it the "test of fire" by posting the
>
> Agreed.

I'm planning this in my head right now.  I envision a master information
page which would have links to:  "If you're new to Unix" (for people
coming from DOS/Windows backgrounds), "Linux users", and "Familiar with
another Unix (such as SunOS)".  Of course there will be a lot of
hypertext linkage between the various pages, so as to avoid needless
duplication, but my plan is to have every advantage of FreeBSD touted in
several different contexts.  I also plan to make the page very "friendly"
for novice users, while still containing substantial technical information
for experts.  I'll post the URL in a few weeks and will invite people
(especially comp.os.linux.advocacy) to "beta-test" it for a while..

> > 3) Full description of ftp.cdrom.com as a "case study".  Also, when
> > people FTP to ftp.cdrom.com there should be a BIG banner, like:
> > 'Unleash the daemon in your PC!'
> > (followed by some information about ftp.cdrom.com and FreeBSD)."
>
> That logo looks so cheesy though :P

Sorry, I typed it up in a few minutes.  :-)  I didn't think I could draw
the FreeBSD daemon in ASCII.  :P

> > 4) We should not be afraid to capitalize on Linux's name by calling
> > ourselves "a better Linux than Linux" or "a better Unix than Linux".
>
> I would never want "a better linux than linux." I don't want to make
> it appear that it's okay to refer to Linux as the de facto Free OS. :-)

Okay, good point, but I think that we can refer to it as that on the "For
Linux users" page I referred to above.  Yes, if people are not already
familiar with Linux, we don't want to point it out to them.  :-)

> > 5) Print advertisement!  I can't emphasize this enough.  I was looking
>
> $$$$

I know..  But Walnut Creek has bucks, they just have to split it up among
all of their CD-ROMs.

> > 6) IRC support!  I know this last one sounds silly, but I notice that
> > manning the #FreeBSD channel, perhaps with the help of a "BSDBot".  Lots
>
> We already 'man' this channel. It's been in existance for a while now.

Good, I expected such, but I didn't check it out myself.  I'll make it a
point to drop in there a bit more frequently from now on.

---Jake