Date:      Sat, 30 Jun 2001 13:43:29 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
To:        Bsdguru@aol.com
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Status of encryption hardware support in FreeBSD

> >  > It's
> >  > >  a single-board computer constructed for some specific communication
> >  > >  applications, with no VGA or keyboard support, or spinning fans, and
> is
> >  > >  pretty inexpensive and in a very small form factor.  Why do I want to
> >  > >  replace this with "a new motherboard?"
> >  >
> >  > Because my motherboard is 20 times faster, has VGA support,doesnt
> require
> > an
> >  > add-on board to do fast encryption and costs about the same as yours.
> > Thats
> >  > why.
> >
> >  Again, you are only considering your personal case.  If crypto should
> >  be needed on an embedded appliance, I don't think they would need
> >  a lightning-fast processor and VGA support, when crypto is all
> >  they want.
> >

> Your premise that "embedded appliances" are somehow doomed to use pitifully
> outdated processors is simply wrong.

Who said anything about pitifully outdated processors.  I can buy a heck
of alot of CPU horsepower w/out buying the latest/greatest CPU.

As a matter of fact, in almost all cases, the best bang for the buck
would be for processorts that you imply to 'pitfully outdated'.

> Embedded MBs with speeds enough to eliminate the requirement for 1) a
> slot and 2) an external board are available for less than the delta in
> cost.

That's simply not true.  If you are building 'truly embedded' systems
(ie; 100K+ boxes), you're not going to be using 'off the shelf' PC
parts.  You're going to be specifying particular parts to be used, and
in general the difference in cost of $1-5 for the CPU makes a *huge*
difference in the price-point you are trying to make.

Often times it's easier to build a hierarchy of products, with each
individual tier having the same 'basic' setup (keeping costs low), and
by adding additional 'special purpose' boards, you can increase the
functionality of the box by only increasing the costs trivially.

> So, logically speaking, anyone
> with a requirement for crypto would simply chose a faster embedded MB
> solution.

You seem to have a different definition of embedded than many others do
Bryan.  Have you ever been involved with specifying and building
embedded systems products, or are you just talking out of the side of
your mouth?

Nate