Date:      Sun, 27 Dec 1998 01:11:27 -0500
From:      Lee Cremeans <lee@st-lcremean.tidalwave.net>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        foxfair@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   pcisupport.c 1.85 breaks ide_pci and USB on VIA boards

The changes foxfair made in pcisupport.c for the VIA chipset included
entries for the VIA Apollo IDE and USB controllers. This change breaks
support for both of them on machines with VP1/VP2/[M]VP3 chipsets, since
both functions have their own drivers.

For future reference, I should note that only PCI north and south bridges,
VGA cards, and things we don't have explicit driver support for elsewhere
should be in pcisupport.c, since having them in there basically serves only
to show people what chips are on their motherboards (and to work around
quirks in a few chipsets). PCI IDE is in /sys/pci/ide_pci.c, USB is in
/sys/dev/pci/ohci_pci.c and uhci_pci.c, and if there's an entry for a chip
in pcisupport.c that another driver should be covering, that driver will
never see the PCI probe--the buck stops at pcisupport.c.

By the way, the other MVP3 ID patches seem to work fine here, on my shiny
new Soyo SY-5EHM. :)

Here's the patch to back out the changes pertinent to this.

*** pcisupport.c.orig   Sun Dec 27 01:05:24 1998
--- pcisupport.c        Sun Dec 27 01:05:52 1998
***************
*** 342,352 ****
        /* XXX need info on the MVP3 -- any takers? */
        case 0x30401106:
                return("VIA 82C586B ACPI interface");
-       /* XXX New info added-in */
-         case 0x05711106:
-               return("VIA 82C586B IDE controller");
-       case 0x30381106:
-               return("VIA 82C586B USB controller");
        /* XXX Here is MVP3, I got the datasheet but NO M/B to test it  */
        /* totally. Please let me know if anything wrong.            -F */
        case 0x05981106:
--- 342,347 ----