Date:      Thu, 20 Aug 1998 21:57:42 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        imp@village.org (Warner Losh)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Realloc fix for review

> So rather than hack some really complicated a and na's, I write a new
> function, added it to libc and then modified all of src/lib to use
> this new function.  I called it frealloc (freeing realloc).  I added
> it to the man page, etc.  I know that this isn't in ANSI C nor in
> POSIX, but after seeing how hard it was to get people to use strncpy
> right, I thought it would be good to add this to libc.
>
> I did a full make world, and this seems to work.  One gotcha that I
> had was that I could not place frealloc into the "logical" place of
> malloc.c due to the "emacs malloc" problem that was worked around in
> ld.so.  It was far easier to place it in its own file than to generate
> a working patch for ld.so.  It also seems cleaner this way as well
> since the code will work with any implementation of
> malloc/free/realloc.
>
> Comments?

1)	It should be an inline function in stdlib.h, I think...

2)	I suppose you did this so we can easily do a:

		find /usr/src -name \*.c -print | xargs grep frealloc

	to find all the code written by people bad at pointer math
	and thus in need of a pointer code review?

8-).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---