Date:      Fri, 18 Jan 2008 17:11:17 +1100
From:      Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@optushome.com.au>
To:        Nate Eldredge <nge@cs.hmc.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Recommendation for wireless network card (PCI/USB)

--DwoPkXS38qd3dnhB

On Thu, Jan 17, 2008 at 12:31:21PM -0800, Nate Eldredge wrote:
>Ok.  I see that the Atheros drivers have a binary-only part, as described=
=20
>by ath_hal(4).  Can you confirm that this works on amd64?  Often vendors=
=20
>are lazy about writing drivers for anything but i386.  :(

ath(4) is built and maintained by sam@freebsd.org.  There are amd64
binaries but as I don't have any ath(4) hardware, I can't comment on
them.  Sam has access to the Atheros documentation but is required to
embed much of the code in a binary blob to comply with regulatory
agency requirements.  See /usr/src/sys/contrib/dev/ath/README

>Btw, the Atheros site you link to doesn't seem to work.  All my searches=
=20
>yield a server error page.  Very confidence-inspiring...

My trial search worked without problem.  If you believe there is a
problem with the Atheros website, I suggest you take it up with
Atheros - the FreeBSD Project does not manage it.

--=20
Peter Jeremy

--DwoPkXS38qd3dnhB

--DwoPkXS38qd3dnhB--