Date:      Wed, 11 Jul 2001 10:22:30 -0700
From:      Jordan Hubbard <jkh@osd.bsdi.com>
To:        sheldonh@starjuice.net
Cc:        bmah@FreeBSD.ORG, bsddiy@163.net, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vfs.vmiodirenable undocumented

From: Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 11:21:24 +0200

> I'm very concerned with the fact that this style of response has become
> commonly accepted within the FreeBSD community.

I would have to disagree that this is an area of concern.

Let's take it from the other perspective: There are a lot of clueless
individuals out there who just don't understand the volunteer nature
of open source and think it's fine to walk up and post criticisms on
the bulletin board without any truly helpful suggestions, or to demand
work of volunteers rather than offering to ASSIST them in their
efforts.  It happens all the time, and each time it does it serves to
disillusion the volunteers just a little bit more as they wonder just
why they're doing this for such an ungrateful pack of cretins.

In such instances, I'd much rather have the volunteer vent a little
steam and perhaps feel better rather than bottle it up until one day
it just becomes all too much and they walk away from the project
entirely.  I'm not being alarmist or dramatic in painting that picture
either because it's happened more times than I like to think about.

It's also the case that people tend to only really learn lessons when
they're hard lessons, and if getting a public spanking (albeit a mild
one in this case) is what it takes to really drive the point home then
I'll be the first to hand out paddles.  Some people, like Mr Xu here,
are even more resistant to clue transfer than most (just read the
archives) and, if anything, Bruce was being rather admirably
restrained with his response.

In short, your approach may be fine one for conducting sensitivity
training at the Oh Shamalu Spiritual Center, but I'm not sure it's
appropriate here.  This is the freebsd-hackers mailing list, and if
you can't take a little engineering heat then this is probably the
wrong place for you.  Not everything in life needs to be "kinder and
gentler", to borrow words from George Bush, and I suspect the folks
who run police academies and military training programs would be the
first to agree with me. :)

- Jordan