Date:      Thu, 20 Oct 2005 12:43:28 +0200
From:      Robert Millan <rmh@aybabtu.com>
To:        Juergen Lock <nox@jelal.kn-bremen.de>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gzip-like CLI wrapper for p7zip

On Thu, Oct 20, 2005 at 12:46:30AM +0200, Juergen Lock wrote:

> >I don't think the changes are trivial.  Most likely the algorithm requires
> >random access, and with my very reduced knowledge in compression techniques or
> >p7zip internals, this isn't something I can fix.
> >
> Well, even if it does, one could always compress fixed-size chunks of
> data sequentially.

Ah, good point :)

> >Sorry, I don't know the 7z format either.  However, much like other compression
> >formats, it is versioned:
> >
> >  rmh@aragorn:/tmp$ echo foo | p7zip | file -
> >  /dev/stdin: 7z archive data, version 0.2
>
>  Well, i dont know if the 7z maintainers are interested in supporting
> streaming themselves, it could well happen they bump their version
> for other reasons, which means p7zip's version numbering would have
> to be orthogonal to theirs...

AFAIK, p7zip attempts to track 7zip sources closely and merge stuff.  But even
if it forked, it'd be very unlikely (and counter-productive) to also fork the
file format specs.  I don't think 7zip maintainers have a problem integrating
streaming support if it doesn't break anything (but if you're concerned about
that, never hurts to ask..)

Please let me know if you add that wrapper script.

--
Robert Millan