Date:      Thu, 29 Nov 2001 15:50:00 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Brandon D. Valentine" <bandix@looksharp.net>
To:        Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.inka.de>
Cc:        <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: tar and nodump flag

On Thu, 29 Nov 2001, Christian Weisgerber wrote:

>- It doesn't support incremental backups.  That isn't a problem in
>  itself, but it's a feature our GNU tar currently has and people
>  probably don't want to lose.

It's a feature that is essential that FreeBSD doesn't lose IMO.  Those
of us who use tar w/ amanda to backup FreeBSD boxes know how crucial the
ability to make incremental backups of filesystems can be.  It's bad
enough I can't use the stock GNUtar in RELENG_4 with amanda since it's a
very old version with buggy indexing.  Even my IRIX boxes come with
GNUtar 1.13 in the freeware distribution.  Our base system having 1.11.2
is unfortunate.  The indexing bugs weren't worked out until around
GNUtar 1.13.19 and 1.13.25 is out and quite stable.  If anything I would
prefer to see inclusion of a newer version of GNUtar in the base system.
Yes, the license issue is unfortunate, but to me GNUtar would be in the
same category as GCC, there's just no alternative featureful enough.
Granted, my opinion has little weight around here, but hopefully it's of
some use to provide insight into what FreeBSD users need out of tar.

Brandon D. Valentine
--
"Iam mens praetrepidans avet vagari."
- G. Valerius Catullus, Carmina, XLVI