Date:      Tue, 19 Oct 2004 18:17:27 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Thinkpad T42p X Questions

Through a series of pretty much unplanned events, a brand-new Thinkpad
T42p (2373-6YU) has come into my possession.  This is a 1.7G Pentium-M
system with a 1024x768 screen.

It has been remarkably cooperative with 5.3beta7.

Xorg came up with DRI and direct rendering, and it works fine, except
for a couple of seemingly-minor but possibly important things:

The X root window is the default X gray-dotted background.  fluxbox
and fluxbox-devel cannot change it, nor can 'xsetroot -bg blue', nor
icewm.  They all act like they've changed it, but it does not change.

Possibly a related matter: the X pointer sometimes reverts to the
default X pointer instead of the window manager's arrow.

Removing AGP from the kernel resulted in no mouse function, either in X
or the console.

Booting with ACPI disabled seems to make no difference, nor does
commenting out Load "dri" in xorg.conf.

Any suggestions on correcting this would be appreciated.  After/if I can
get these things fixed, I'll put an entry for this machine on FLCL.