Date:      Mon, 11 Nov 1996 16:16:24 -0600 (CST)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        neal@pernet.net (Neal Rigney)
Cc:        jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com, john@starfire.mn.org, hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PPP/LCP sensing getty

> I tried using the patches, but they have one small problem.  My modems
> stupidly send a connect message in a way that getty sees as a username.
> So it sits at Password: waiting for test, but only getting LCP.  The other
> times I got it to work(with different modems), it worked like a charm.

Turn off result codes.

ATZ
ATQ1&W

Also set the modem to do a reset on DTR transition.  Then if you need to
dial out, you can use "ATQ0" in your dial string to force the modem to
provide result codes for the dialer program.

No modem I have ever seen works out of the box correctly with a UNIX host
for both in- and outdial applications.

... JG