Date:      Thu, 29 Oct 1998 10:57:52 -0800
From:      "Carlos C. Tapang" <ctapang@easystreet.com>
To:        <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Plugging a FreeBSD server to the net: need advice

OK, I'm about ready to plug a server to the net. Frankly, I was leaning on
using Windows NT for some time, but now I am convinced that FreeBSD is a
much better choice. (I just read Yahoo's testimonial on FreeBSD.) I now need
to decide on which version of FreeBSD to use. Should I go with 2.2.7 or 3.0.
Is 3.0 ready for it?

The server will be a web, mail, and ftp server. Will I get double mileage
with having a 2-processor SMP system?

Is FreeBSD.ORG behind a firewall? If it's not, then my server probably does
not need to be behind a firewall. (I am paranoid about malignant attacks,
but if FreeBSD.ORG can survive, so should my server.)

Are DTP raid controllers really as good as they're cracked up to be?  Do I
really need RAID, or should a regular SCSI drive/controller do as well? My
feeling is that regular SCSI drives should be reliable enough for my
purposes. I would like my server to be a mirror site for FreeBSD-current
downloads.

My server will plug to the net using an SDSL line from GTE (it's cheap!) at
384Kbits/sec, so probably I do not need the processing power for now. I do
plan to upgrade to higher bandwidth xDSL later.

--Carlos