Date:      Mon, 24 Feb 2003 11:43:21 -0500
From:      Jason Andresen <jandrese@mitre.org>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: C coding editor

Stacy Millions wrote:
> Wes Peters wrote:
>
>> Terminal?  You have heard of this really cool thing called windowing
>> software?  ;^)
>>
>> I completely utterly fail to understand why some young developers
>> attach some sort of romance to writing code on an 80x25 screen, when
>> all the haxxors my age or older waited (or slaved away) for years,
>> even decades, to get something better and more flexible.
>

> Terminal? 80x25 screen? Bloody luxury. How 'bout ed on a 300 baud
> DecWriter?
> You could even have more then 80 columns, if you had the wide paper :-)

Heh, I started with XEmacs on FreeBSD 2.0.5 and the first thing I did
was resize the window so it was a full 800 pixels wide.  This was a
school assignment and we had to print out our programs to turn them in
(with the disk, apparently they didn't trust those floppies).  Turns out
that my printer (an old 24 pin dot matrix deal[1]) only supported 80
columns, and I ended up wasting a LOT of paper (although the assignment
was impressively thick when I turned it in. :)

After that I relegated myself to never exceeding 80 columns unless
absolutely necessary.

[1] Kids these days have never overheated a printer in their life.

--
   \  |_ _|__ __|_ \ __| Jason Andresen        jandrese@mitre.org
  |\/ |  |    |    / _|  Network and Distributed Systems Engineer