Date:      Tue, 30 Apr 1996 08:06:40 +0000 ()
From:      Dror Matalon <dror@dnai.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: POP timeout

On Tue, 30 Apr 1996, Bruce Bauman wrote:

> We are running FreeBSD 2.1 at our small ISP. Customers have occasionally
> been complaining about being unable to communicate with our mail server
> via POP. If I check our log files, I see messages like the following:
>
> Apr 30 06:21:28 itchy popper[8954]: woody@dial30.mosquito.com: -ERR POP timeout
>

> Our mail server is lightly loaded. Any suggestions on where to look for problems?
> Is it possible I'm running out of ptys?
We run our Pop server on BSDI, but have found out that:
1. The qpopper server from qualcom, the folks that wrote Eudora,
recovers better than the native popper from errors.
2. When users use the "leave mail on server" switch, mail starts
building up and eventually, just seeking to the right position in the
mail file takes the pop server long enough that the client times
out.

Dror

Dror Matalon                                            Voice: 510 649-6110
Direct Network Access                                   Fax:   510 649-7130
2039 Shattuck Avenue                                    Modem: 510 649-6116
Berkeley, CA 94704                                      Email: dror@dnai.com