Date:      Fri, 11 Feb 2000 02:26:14 -0800
From:      Ed Hall <edhall@screech.weirdnoise.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: My views on Eclipse/BSD

I'm quite pleased with what we, as individuals, will be able to learn
about Eclipse, and the terms of the license don't interfere with that
one bit.  But--and this is my *only* objection to the license terms--we
each are prohibited from discussing what we discover, absent Lucent's
written permission.  Such discussion would include posting to
this or any other mailing list.

I'm not from the GPL-or-hell set.  Lucent has a perfect right to
share under whatever terms they like.  Our license encourages this,
which is fundamentally a good thing.  But they considerably reduce
the usefulness of their offering to us--and, ultimately, to themselves--
by restricting us from discussing our observations of it.

One can argue that such prohibitions are unenforcible, or that Lucent
isn't likely to attempt to enforce them.  And my read of the situation
is that this is probably the case.  This time.  But I, for one, would
rather the moral ambiguity be removed, not passed over.

		-Ed