Date:      Sun, 5 Sep 1999 16:42:41 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        chris@tourneyland.com, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What's named.root?

>Date: Sun, 05 Sep 1999 16:24:26 -0500
>From: chris@tourneyland.com

>I'm exploring using my BSD machine as a name server (a skill I'm finding
>extremely unpleasant to nurture), and in some newsgroup postings I came
>across several mentions of a a file called /etc/namedb/named.boot. I looked
>for such a file, and discovered I don't have one. However, I do have a
>/etc/namedb/named.root (as well as a /etc/namedb/named.conf).

>I'm curious - What are these for?

Sorry you're finding it so unpleasant; that's not the intent, from what
I've gathered.

The presence of "named.conf" is an indicator that the version of the name
server software that is installed on your machine (BIND) is 8 (or beyond);
"named.boot" is a file with similar function (but quite different syntax)
that was used to define the configuration of BIND version 4 (and prior,
I believe).

named.root is not a name that has a definite purpose, though files with
such names have often been used for identifying the root nameservers
that your name server should use.  It is thus also referred to as a
"hints" file.

I recommend the 3rd ed. _DNS and BIND_, by Albitz & Liu, O'Reilly &
Assoc.; ISBN 15659251221

Cheers,
david
--
David Wolfskill		dhw@whistle.com		UNIX System Administrator
voice: (650) 577-7158	pager: (888) 347-0197	FAX: (650) 372-5915