Date:      Tue, 19 Feb 2002 20:48:35 -0500
From:      "Michael Scheidell" <scheidell@secnap.net>
To:        <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: sendmail ; bogus letters

While I do like th ewokr julian does at spamcop, if what you say is true,
then everon using that list should know that they can be denied 100% email
if someone decides to spoof complaints (revenge reports)
Most rbl's are good_ let you know how thye list, why they list and at least
say they doublecheck.
I got hit by a 'you are a spammer' bounce when complainig to an admin about
spam!
finally tracked it down to selwart.?sp? list. says its been on the list
since 94.
With more people using the free lists (without checking them) and more spam
(500% increase this year) this means more people are going to loose email.

email to him and replies (I will share if anyone wants to know)
Q'I am rabidly anti spam - how did we get listed'
A'you use an ip address that is leased by uunet and the admin of your system
sounds like a troll'

(yep, his list blocks ALL uunet addresses, and he wouldn't even consider a
client who never spammed because he thought he was a troll)

so, I have a 100% solution, the SECNAP rbl.  it lista (by cname) all 223 /8
CIDR blocks.
you use it like any other rbl, and since every routable (and reserved) ip
address is in the rbl, it pretty much means you won't get spammed!
(ps, yes, spam is a security issue, its the easiest way to deliver a trojan
to an luser but the sendmail questions need to be taken to another list
anyway
try comp.mail.sendmail usenet list.
--
Michael Scheidell