Date:      Tue, 4 Sep 2001 23:53:28 +0200
From:      "=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Boris_K=F6ster_?=" <koester@x-itec.de>
To:        Søren Neigaard <neigaard@e-box.dk>, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: httpd user for Apache?

On 4 Sep 2001 at 20:53, S=F8ren Neigaard wrote:

> I have read somewhere that it is a good idea to make you'r
> applications run under specific users, and not under root. How is the
> best way to configure such a user, as an example a user for the Apache
> httpd deamon (i got so far as to name the user httpd). Should it be in
> a specific group, have restricted rights and so on...

httpd.conf [snip]:

  245 # If you wish httpd to run as a different user or group, you must ru=
    246 # httpd as root initially and it will switch.
    247 #
    248 # User/Group: The name (or #number) of the user/group to run httpd=
 as.
    249 #  . On SCO (ODT 3) use "User nouser" and "Group nogroup".
    250 #  . On HPUX you may not be able to use shared memory as nobody, a=
nd the
    251 #    suggested workaround is to create a user www and use that use=
r.
    252 #  NOTE that some kernels refuse to setgid(Group) or semctl(IPC_SE=
T)
    253 #  when the value of (unsigned)Group is above 60000;
    254 #  don't use Group nobody on these systems!
    255 #
    256 User nobody
    257 Group nobody

Tip: search for "SuExec" and CGIwrap somewhere for other, more or less par=
anoia
security *gg

You can play the same game with user/group in your virtual domains.

--
Boris K=F6ster [MCSE|CNA]
[C / C++ / PHP / FreeBSD / Security / Consulting] .:=3D FREELANCER =3D:.