Date:      Thu, 17 Aug 2000 23:52:41 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org>
To:        Jason T <luser@ahab.com>
Cc:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>, Gerhard Sittig <Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net>, FreeBSD stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: remove empty TEMPROOT dirs at mergemaster's end? (was: cvs commit:  src/usr.sbin/mergemaster mergemaster.sh)

Jason T wrote:

> I think I can clarify.  If mergemaster leaves ANY files behind, it also leave
> the subdirectories, even the empty ones.  The request is to have empty
> subdirectories (of ${TEMPROOT}) removed automatically.  This benefits anyone,
> experienced or novice, who leaves some files behind for more deliberate
> examination after mergemaster.

	I understand the conditions. What I don't understand is what the benefit
is. HOW does removing the directories help? Almost every single file that
you would want to re-examine is going to be in the temp etc. The exceptions
are too insignificant to worry about. Also, the other reason to leave the
directory behind is so that if you have to rebuild it, it won't take as
long. Deleting the file hierarchy defeats that purpose.

> The request was to make this standard mergemaster behavior, not another expert
> option.

	Well, I missed that bit. I have to confess that the whole point of this
request totally escapes me. But, I had a crappy day at work today so maybe
that's clouded my judgement or something. In this particular case if I get
a lot of "me too's" (private please) then I guess we can add this, but
frankly I think that we're talking about window dressing that's at best a
50:50 in the cost:benefit department.

Doug