Date:      Mon, 12 Apr 1999 23:20:17 +0100
From:      Tom Hukins <tom@eborcom.com>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        Wolfram Schneider <wosch@panke.de.freebsd.org>, nik@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: docs/6508: sgmlfmt does not expand relative URLs

On Mon, Apr 12, 1999 at 10:15:39PM +0100, Nik Clayton wrote:

> For most people, this would probably be
>
>     <!ENTITY FreeBSDURL "http://www.freebsd.org/">;
>
> For someone like yourself, who probably has a local copy of the website
> permanently installed somewhere, and a webserver running, you could
> have
>
>     <!ENTITY FreeBSDURL "http://localhost/FreeBSDMirror/">;
>
> Each URL that refers to the site in the Handbook and FAQ then looks
> something like;
>
>     <ulink url="&FreeBSDURL;search.html">the search pages</ulink>

I've been thinking about something along these lines for a few days
and I'm not sure if a generic &FreeBSDURL; would be appropriate.

I have a local mirror of the Web site at http://freebsd.local/ but I
don't have the whole site mirrored. I've got the GNATS repository
but not the mailing list archives, for example.

Therefore, I think it would be a good idea to have entities like
&FreeBSDGNATS; &FreeBSDMail; or similar. This would allow my mirror
of the site to link to query-pr.cgi and query-pr-summary.cgi
locally, but link to mailindex.cgi at www.freebsd.org (or a European
mirror if possible).

Is this a good idea or am I complicating things too much?

Regards,
Tom