Date:      Mon, 8 Oct 2018 10:24:58 -0700
From:      Matt S <staroscik@gmail.com>
To:        gurenchan@gmail.com
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dmesg submission service -- please submit today

I don't see how "dark pattern" applies because this doesn't trick you into
an ongoing subversive data-sharing arrangement. In this idea, install asks
you if you want to share stats once--you are not opted in to a system.
Then, when processing upgrades, the Handbook would remind you that the
report ability exists and this is a good time to do it if you've made any
changes. Nothing happens without your explicit agreement during install,
and nothing happens afterwards unless you type in a command, every time.

If the current data is adequate for the project's needs, nothing needs to
change.

If the project needs to know more about hardware stats, the request to get
hardware info needs to be somewhat visible. Making it an optional part of
installing/updating seems reasonable to me.

I'm assuming we trust the project, but if the idea of easier stat-sharing
is offensive, then I guess there's nothing to talk about.