Date:      Sun, 22 Sep 1996 12:04:47 +0200
From:      sthaug@nethelp.no
To:        holm@geophysik.tu-freiberg.de, holm@unicorn.pppnet.tu-freiberg.de
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: sendmail- Bug ?

> since sendmail has benn upgraded to 8.7.6 I have the following
> printout in my mails from Charly Root (/etc/daily) in my elm :
>
> N  4   Sep 22 Charlie ?Ó¿ïüÒ¿ï?Ó (49)   unicorn daily run output
>
> After removing the ampersand in root's gecos field in the passwd file
> the Output seem's to be OK ( from Charlie  whitout Root).
> Is this a bug in the new sendmail release ?

Yes. Known bug. See the following patch from Eric Allman.

From: eric@Sendmail.ORG (Eric Allman)
Subject: patch to sendmail 8.7.6
Date: 21 Sep 1996 19:01:28 -0700

The following patches fix small bugs in 8.7.6.  I do not plan to do an
8.7.7 release, since 8.8 is due out in just a few days.  If these are
causing you problems, apply the following fixes; otherwise, hold on
until 8.8 is out.

The "&" character in Gecos fields doesn't expand the login name into
the full name properly.  The easy workaround is to just use the full
name (without "&") in the Gecos field of all passwd entries.  If this
is not possible, apply the following patch:

*** util.c.orig	Thu Sep 19 08:08:17 1996
- --- util.c	Sun Sep 22 03:26:17 1996
***************
*** 418,424 ****
  	{
  		if (*p == '&')
  		{
! 			snprintf(bp, SPACELEFT(buf, bp), "%s", login);
  			*bp = toupper(*bp);
  			bp += strlen(bp);
  		}
- --- 418,424 ----
  	{
  		if (*p == '&')
  		{
! 			snprintf(bp, buflen - (bp - buf), "%s", login);
  			*bp = toupper(*bp);
  			bp += strlen(bp);
  		}

On some architectures, a one-byte buffer overflow in get_column (used
by text map lookups) can cause core dumps.  (In many cases this is not
a problem because the compiler rounds the three byte buffer up to four
bytes to get long alignment.)  If this is a problem, apply the following
patch:

*** util.c.orig	Sat Sep 21 18:49:45 1996
- --- util.c	Sat Sep 21 18:49:59 1996
***************
*** 1865,1871 ****
  	char *p;
  	char *begin, *end;
  	int i;
! 	char delimbuf[3];

  	if (delim == '\0')
  		strcpy(delimbuf, "\n\t ");
- --- 1865,1871 ----
  	char *p;
  	char *begin, *end;
  	int i;
! 	char delimbuf[4];

  	if (delim == '\0')
  		strcpy(delimbuf, "\n\t ");

If you want to try 8.8.Beta, it is available on FTP.Sendmail.ORG in
/ucb/src/sendmail/.beta.  Change into that directory and follow the
directions in the welcome message to get the latest Beta version.

eric

Eric Allman					     InReference, Inc.
Chief Technical Officer		    155A Moffett Park Drive, Suite 210
eric@InReference.COM				   Sunnyvale, CA 94089
http://WWW.InReference.COM/~eric		       +1/408/541-7641