Date:      Thu, 16 Jan 1997 17:10:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Steve Bishop <fike@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: freeBSD problem

On 16 Jan 1997, Steve Bishop wrote:

> I first tried to install from dos with the command     install
> so the cd-rom ran and then chk out the system then contiuned on to a menu. The
> menu just locked up did not work.

That's happened on several occaisions.  I'm not quite sure what causes it
though.

> Next I tried to make a boot disk so from the cd  I typed   makeflp  so I put a
> floppy disk in my drive it formatted it then copied the image on to it. Then I
> rebooted my system.  My system is a gateway 2000 p5-60 with 16m and 2 IDE hard
> drives.

So the boot floppy works.  Check.

> So anyways I just rebooted with the floppy disk and then it prompts I
> just hit enter.  It runs a bunch of text then comes up to a menu   do u want to
> configure the kernal in visual mode advanced or skip this and contiune with
> installing. So I goto configure in visual mode. Next at the top it says 21
> conflicts so I expand and try to fix the conflicts there are cards in there
> that I don't even have and they are conflicting with my system so I delete
> them.

That's right.  Delete the devices you don't have and change the others to
match your configuration.  You didn't say what OS you have on the system
now, but you shoudl be able to look in it's configuration files and find
the proper settings for the devices.

> And my cd-rom is conflicting so I try diff ports and it stopped same
> with my mouse.

The mouse is OK, its *supposed* to conflict.  The CDROM depends on your
system.  Most modern systems use ATAPI/IDE interfaced CDs and thus don't
require any special configuration other than to delete all the special
CDROM controllers and leave the wdc controllers.

> So there are no more conflicts I hit q and save it. It then goes to
> this menu. Well I setup the harddrive in automode I let the program deside what
> I need but then I go to the novice install and the menu driven program is
[...]

If you get a submenu, select the appropriate option(s) with <space> then
hit the <<< Exit option to save your selections.

The mouse isn't used in sysinstall.

I would highly suggest reading the install documentation (at
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/2.1.6-RELEASE/INSTALL.TXT) if you have
not already.

I also need to know more details about your machine, as well as what
install method you're using, before I can completely answer your
question(s).