Date:      Mon, 17 Nov 1997 02:03:02 -0500 (EST)
From:      chuckr@glue.umd.edu
To:        smp@csn.net
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, hasty@rah.star-gate.com, toor@dyson.iquest.net, sprice@hiwaay.net, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make world time???/

On 16 Nov, Steve Passe wrote:
> Jordan,
>
>> Argh.  If we're going to compare worldstone numbers, we've really
>> got to converge on some standard for what consititutes a proper
>> one. ;-)
>> Maybe the first step would be to agree
>> upon a script for launching the world build which sets various
>> environment variables consistently?  Then we'd at least be
>> down to just the I/O trickieries as variants.
>>

> I second this!  Lets go for a "full" build (perhaps maybe skipping
> the PROF LIBS).  One test I want to try is using the same disks on
> all 3 of my systems to better quantify the difference between P5 & P6

Little bit more, please.... does the /usr/obj already exist?  Takes
some time to actually make all those dirs, so that has to be taken into
account either by destroying /usr/obj or specifying it exists, but that
a make clean/cleandepend is done.

Do we leave placement of /usr/src and /usr/obj to the tester?  Faster
on different disks, I think.

How about mounting of /usr/obj?  Even if we don't force these things,
we must say that they are free variables, so people know the conditions.

Sounds like building a nice benchmark ....

> --
> Steve Passe	| powered by
> smp@csn.net	|            Symmetric MultiProcessor FreeBSD

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |