Date:      Tue, 23 Apr 2002 02:34:09 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Mark Filipak <filipak@earthlink.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Mark asks: Can anyone send me mcopy?

On 2002-04-22 04:38, Mark Filipak wrote:
> I **can't** believe this. Is this for real?
>
> I ask someone, anyone, to simply send me mcopy. No one sends me mcopy.
> Instead many people preach at me.
>
> What is wrong with this picture?

There are many things wrong with a posting that says "send me mcopy".

a) What operating system are you using?

b) Which version of that operating system?

c) Do you realize that even if you get an "mcopy" binary, compiled
   statically, so that it requires no other libraries to run, it still
   depends on the architecture/kernel it was compiled on?

d) Even if you get a statically compiled mcopy binary, and you save it
   to a floppy disk, how will you copy it to the disk of the system
   it's going to be used on?  This is a tricky question, because if
   you answer "oh, but I'll certainly use the network" then it is
   obvious that you can use the network for transferring your data and
   using floppies or mcopy is vain, useless and pointless :)

Now, please do calm down and ask the real question.
What are you *really* trying to do?

Giorgos Keramidas                       FreeBSD Documentation Project
keramida@{freebsd.org,ceid.upatras.gr}  http://www.FreeBSD.org/docproj/