Date:      Fri, 19 Jan 2001 17:55:58 +1000
From:      Greg Black <gjb@gbch.net>
To:        dan@langille.org
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Patch to fix "make buildkernel requires full obj directory" mistake

Dan Langille wrote:

> On 18 Jan 2001, at 20:13, Warner Losh wrote:
>
> > Still, I don't think it is too onerous a requirement that a buildworld
> > have happened first.
>
> I disagree.  Unless you qualify the above, you're saying that if I install
> FreeBSD for the first time, in order to create a custom kernel, I need to
> make world.  Sorry, but that's breaking a long standing tradition of not
> needing to make world before building a customer kernel.  And
> expecting someone new to FreeBSD to master build world before
> getting them used to building a kernel is a bit too much of an ask.

I haven't been following this thread, so I may have missed
something here, but the comment above rang some alarms.

Does any of this affect people who simply install a RELEASE from
CD and then build a kernel to get their config the way they
want?  I'm assuming it doesn't, but I got worried by what you
said here.

Like lots of people who use FreeBSD rather than tinker with it,
I have never done "make any-kind-of-world" and never expect to.
I create a kernel config with my stuff in it, and do config,
make, make install.  I trust this is not going to be broken?