Date:      Thu, 24 Jan 2002 09:47:00 +0100
From:      Emre Bastuz <info@emre.de>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Cc:        Jeremy Buckner <jeremy@cableaz.com>
Subject:   Re: Console settings/software?

Hi Jeremy,

 > If I need/want to console into my FreeBSD box, do I need to load any kind of software
I´ve tried the same thing a couple of days ago.

The main resources for this are:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/term.htm
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/serialcomms.html

It all comes down to modifying /etc/ttys and change the keyword "off" to "on"
in the line with the devices ttyd0 and ttyd1 (depending on which serial port
of your machine you use).

I still had some problems after connecting to that port with Hyperterminal,
my guess is that I have just selected the wrong cabling type (Cisco rollover type).

If it works for you, please let me know what changes you have made to what
configuration files and what cabling you have used please :)

Regards,

Emre

--
Emre Bastuz