Date:      Thu, 10 Dec 1998 21:42:25 -0600 (CST)
From:      James Wyatt <jwyatt@rwsystr.RWSystems.net>
To:        Charles Reese <reese@chem.duke.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: tripwire was Re: append-only devices for logging

James Wyatt rambled again:

On Thu, 10 Dec 1998, Charles Reese wrote:
> Can tripwire be modified to compare two databases rather then one data base
> and the current files?  I ask because I monitor some systems remotely and I
> would like to be able to automatically generate a tripwire database on the
> remote system, ftp it to my local site and compare it with a previously
> created database that I have stored here on read-only media.  It is not
> possible for me to use read-only media on the remote machine.

This is a *great* idea! I had set the BIOS to boot w/o floppy and written
the DB to a floppy I changed to R/O by hand. This has a limit of 1.44MB
or 2.88 MB, depending on how much you spend for a floppy drive. I guess a
zip disk would work too, but I was given a parallel zip which seems to be
unsupported on FreeBSD. 8{(

btw: You might implement this with something that, when called by the
right host, performed a tripwire scan and dumped it back to the calling
host. The calling host need not *receive* connects, just return the data.
Of fourse, a cracker might just replace the program with one that returned
the 'right' result, rather than perform the scan... I guess you could also
replace the tripwire executables, but how do you protect tripwire from
modification? I knida miss the drives on my old Tandy 6000 that I could
write-protect by hand! - Jy@