Date:      Thu, 13 Dec 2001 14:29:49 +0100
From:      "Karel J. Bosschaart" <karelj@wop21.wop.wtb.tue.nl>
To:        Mathew Kanner <mat@cnd.mcgill.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: notes for quake3

On Wed, Dec 12, 2001 at 10:48:27PM -0500, Mathew Kanner wrote:
> Hey People,
> 	Just a note for those of you wanting to play quake with X4.  I
> found the linux_glx crashes quake (and staroffice).  The port found in

Well yes, when I tried the port for the Quake3 demo this week, linux_glx
was the first thing I threw out because AFAIK linux_glx is supposed to work
with X-3.3.6/Utah-glx (which I never managed to get working).

> the gnats system
> 	works much better (no sound yet though).  Could someone please
> commit this?

Yes, that's the way to go if you have X4. I have it installed using the
instructions on Eric Anholt's site and it works fine on my old machine
(K6-2/500 MHz/G400) with Quake3. Other games are too slow to be playable
though, but they mostly run fine with an old Voodoo2.

On my new machine I'm only using the Voodoo2 to play games ;-),
because agp-gart doesn't seem supported yet on the AMD760 chipset, which
means no DRI.

Regards,
Karel.