Date:      Fri, 11 Jul 1997 18:50:22 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        beckmann@nacamar.de (Michael Beckmann)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: MO drive

Michael Beckmann stands accused of saying:
> At 11:03 11.07.97 +0930, you wrote:
> ># disklabel -rwB od0 auto
> ># newfs /dev/rod0c
>
> test: {46} disklabel -rwB od0 auto
> test: {47} newfs /dev/rod0c
> newfs: ioctl (GDINFO): Invalid argument
> newfs: /dev/rod0c: can't read disk label; disk type must be specified

Are you doing this on the console?  Are there any (other?) error messages
that you're not showing?

It looks as though there may be some problem with 1024-byte sectors;
Soren would know about that. (cc'd) I'm using an MO here with 512byte
sectors, so I can't think of anything else (other than maybe that your
disk is write-protected?).