Date:      Wed, 27 Sep 1995 01:22:54 -0700
From:      David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
To:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: make world on FreeBSD-stable impossible. cc1: ... signal 11

>> >Someone with a working -stable here ?! Since weeks unable to
>> >get a FreeBSD release compiled without that messages like:
>> >
>> >internal compiler error .... signal 11 ...
>> >
>> >Started with 2.0.5R ... compiled the stable kernel because of
>> >AHA 2940 problems ... and what now ???
>> >
>> >How can I help to track down the problem ?
>
>I have this problem too. I loaded 2.0.5, loaded the 2.1-stable sources,
>and as soon as 2.1-stable code is used (during the make world), it falls
>over. A temporary fix it to copy 2.1-current /usr/libexec/* to this machine.

   Please describe your machines in detail...output of dmesg would be a good
start.
   This sounds similar to the bug that was recently fixed in 2.2, but the code
in 2.1 is very different and should not be suseptible to this. The VFS cluster
code in 2.1 has not changed since 2.0.5.

>At the same spot for me. I was suspecting memory/cache problems, so far I
>have ruled out the cache.

   There was one other report about things dieing when one of the shared
libraries got out of sync, but after that was fixed the problems went away.
If you have the ability to try 2.1-stable on different hardware, but with
the same disk drive and binaries, this might help isolate the problem.
   It might also help if you could install the new 0922 snapshot.

-DG