Date:      Mon, 1 Oct 2001 18:20:25 -0400
From:      Devin Smith <devin-freebsdquestions@rintrah.org>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        xique <xique-list@subatomic.net>
Subject:   Re: traceroute only works after ping

>Perhaps someone can help explain this odd behavior. If I do a traceroute to
>any host on the Internet it times out. If I ping the host first and then do
>a traceroute it works fine.
>
>Things I have checked based on searching the mailing list archives:
>
>I am not running ipfw (firewall_enable="NO" in /etc/rc.conf)
>I am not running ipf (ipfilter_enable="NO" in /etc/rc.comf)
>
>Other facts:
>
>This machine is running a generic, clean copy of FreeBSD 4.4.
>I have a Linksys BEFSR11 (one-port) router with default configuration.
>My 'net connection is an AT&T/RoadRunner/MediaOne cable modem.
>
>Even though I have an easy work-around I'd still appreciate help figuring
>out why this is happening. Thanks!

Try taking the Linksys Router out of the picture. I've seen those do some
really weird connection related things, especially when you combine them
with a hub or switch from another manufacturer. Hook the FreeBSD box up
directly to the cable modem and see what happens.

--devin

--
Devin Smith                | Master of nothing in particular
http://127.0.0.1           |